Toxins are everywhere and they are a much greater concern now than ever before. We eat and drink them, we breath them and we wear them on our body. From toxins in our food, to external toxins from our environment, it is hard to believe how we are still surviving.
Toxins undermine our health if our body is overloaded with them and we can acquire a number of symptoms. These include: headaches, fatigue, constipation, overweight, poor digestion,emotional, irritability, addictions, the list goes on...
On the flip side, when your body is purified you have an improved immune system, mental alertness, pure emotions, energetic, full of vitality, balanced bodily rhythms and much much more...
Although cleansing can be done any time of the year, the best time is during the spring. This is because of the natural cycle of cleansing and re-growth that we see in nature at this time, which is in harmony with human cycles.
Did you know the body is so wise, that it does has a system in place to detoxify harmful toxins. The body generally heals:
- From the inside out. For example, a digestion issue will balance out before a skin issue.
- From top down. For example, a sinus issue will heal before arthritis in the knee.
- From most recent to distant symptoms. For example, an illness that you had 3 years ago may heal before one that you have had for 15 years.
- From the most important organs, to the less important ones. For example, the liver will heal before the spleen.
Ways you can help our your body detoxify!
- Eat a healthier Diet: Just by eliminating the processed foods, sugars, saturated fats, alcohol, dairy and animal protein, you are helping with the cleansing process. Instead eat organic, fresh fruit and vegetables (seasonal preferred), Legumes, non-gluten grains, Nuts and seed, Cold pressed oils and natural sweeteners like stevia or agave.
- Eat more raw and living foods: Only eat Organic fresh fruits and vegetables and fresh pressed juices, moderate nuts (excluding peanuts), sprouts and sprouted grains.
- Blended Foods, smoothies and soups: Allow yourself blended foods more often or incorporate into a detoxification diet or living foods diet. Make various fruit or green based smoothies or vegetable based blended soups using nuts and seeds, fruit juices, whole fruits or berries.
- Drink plenty of water: Water flushes toxins and waste from our body and transports nutrients. Try drinking a minimum of 2 litres of water a day and if your active and exercising then drink 3 to 4 litres a day. Try drinking 8 ounces of water with 1 lemon freshly squeezed and 1/2 teaspoon (maximum) of cayenne pepper upon waking, to open the circulatory system and alkalinize bodily fluids thus increasing the rate of detoxification.
- Water Fast: This is an option, however, a water fast must be highly researched or better yet, find a healing center that offers a supervised water fasts program.
- Juice Feast: Fast one day per week every week while consuming freshly squeezed green drinks and vegetables, distilled water, and herbal teas. These fasting days will facilitate the elimination of long term toxins from your body before they cause any serious damage.
- Master Cleanse: I have not actually tried this cleanse before, however, I have heard lots of great testimonials. Just google "master cleanse" and you will find lots of great information.
- Hot Baths and Far Infrared Saunas: Hot water increases blood flow and capillary action near the surface of the skin, causing faster release of toxins. The heat also increases sweating and opens up pores. Far infrared sauna is also a great way to remove toxins from the body that build in our fat cells and predispose people to sickness including cancer.
- Dry brushing: Dry skin brush for 3 to 5 minutes daily before taking a shower bath to help remove dead skin and stimulate the lymphatic system.
- Exercise: Exercise and elimination have more in common than the letter "E". When you exercise you are giving your body a thorough housecleaning.
Incorporating some or all of these will help you release toxic wastes that have accumulated in the body for years. Take your time, be kind and patient with yourself.
© 2008 Mary Luciano
For More Tips on Health, Food, Beauty and Delicious Recipes Ideas Sign-Up here.